Monday, January 17, 2011

So Many Quilts, So Little Time

    My first quilt came about because of a whim. Because of that whim I stepped into a new hobby that has become an obsession. Fortunately my husband is a very patient man. He doesn't seem to mind the mounds of fabric that have slowly taken over our dining room, or the various swear words that occasionally slip past my lips when working on a piece. 

     It started innocently enough, when I sewed some small bags to sell at a convention for some extra cash. (Some of which are in the photo below.)


      While experimenting on a new design for a bag, the very center of my first quilt emerged. I liked it too much to turn it into a bag. Instead it grew into a quilt. I had no real idea of what I was doing as my quilt top grew. There were moments when I almost gave up, mostly due to frustration because I didn't know what I was doing and because I had no one that I could turn to for help. 
     
     With some help from the internet and my local library I figured out how to finish my quilt.  Seeing the look on my mother's face when I gave it to her at Christmas 2009 was priceless. It also acted as fuel for future projects. Some of which I am still working on and hope to finish soon.

 

My other finished quilts:

Severne's Tea Time Quilt:





Bob and Ellen's Star Log Cabin quilt:






1 comment:

  1. Lady Grace,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment on my One Block Wonder Quilt, the kaleidoscope one. Good Luck with your blog, quilting and teaching.

    ReplyDelete